Monday 5 January 2015

LifeBook Week01: Beacon of Light

This is my take on the Beacon of Light project taught by Tamara Laporte of Willowing Arts as part of LifeBook 2015, a year long mixed media and art journalling course.

I pretty much followed Tam's instructions on this, only changing a few small details. My goal is to get better at shading faces. I was a bit bolder this time and used soft pastels as a final layer to deepen and even out the shading as much as possible. I can see that it's still not perfect (a bit blotchy) but good enough for now! I first saw this technique in this video by +Cristina Parus. She uses KOH-I-NOOR TOISON D'OR soft pastels.

Even though I shamelessly copied this design of Tam's, it's still quite meaningful to me. The three symbols I used represent home/family/security (house), spirituality/creativity/individuality (star) and unconditional love (padlock heart). I even managed to smuggle in my symbol of the year (chevron) in her sleeves and the borders! The sentiment I chose ties in with my word for this year, which is 'progress'. I wanted to remind myself that I need to learn to enjoy the here and now while moving forward at the same time.









No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.