Saturday 10 January 2015

Kraaft Shaak January Challenge: Orange and Blue

The January Challenge in the Kraaft Shaak is to use orange and blue as the main colours of your project. I've already created a journal page inspired by this complementary colour combination, but I really wanted to create a tag as well to experiment with my spray inks.

I cut my tag from 140lb (300gsm) watercolour card, to give the spray inks the perfect surface to "mingle". I don't think I would have achieved the same results if I had used regular manila shipping tags. I sprayed Dylusions London Blue on the top and Pure Sunshine at the bottom of the tag and let the colours mix, which created a nice forest green in the middle. These inks have a mind of their own and you never know what you will end up with!

I added some script stamps with white acrylic paint and some pieces of book paper. The Chinese book paper came all the way from Australia from Tracy Woodsford, who was kind enough to send me some. (I have no idea what it says, but I really like the look of those Chinese characters!) I also included the word 'flutter' from an old dictionary. The butterfly was stencilled with a Crafter's Workshop stencil with extra fine Polyfilla (DIY joint compound) used as texture paste. This has a smooth texture and dries very quickly. It's perfect for stenciling! The white substance picked up the green colour underneath and tinted it slightly, but I don't think it's a problem. I completed the look with pieces of blue sari ribbon, top and bottom to create some balance.

For someone who didn't use to do tags, I feel like I'm getting in the zone now!







No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.