Monday 12 January 2015

DLP Week02: The beginning is always today

This is my journal page for week two of the Documented Life Project. The challenge was to use gesso and the theme a quote by Mary Shelly: The beginning is always today.

I've twisted the quote around a bit and chose the title: The future is now. Isn't that an advertising slogan? I'm sure I've heard it before, but I really like it and couldn't get away from it. It reminds me to stop living in my dreams and enjoy the present, here and now.

I used gesso three ways in this project: (1) as a base layer, (2) as a way of toning down the colours and (3) splattering on top of the completed page.

First, I applied a base layer of gesso to seal the paper in my journal and facilitate the blending of the gelatos I used for colour. I chose three colours: bubblegum pink, mango and red cherry. The gesso really helped with the blending to create a colourful, seamless background. You can see it below. (Warning: use of sunglasses is advised!)

Seamless background created with Gelatos

Bubblegum Pink, Mango, Red Cherry

Then I used gesso again to tone down these colours by brayering a thin layer over the gelatos. This is what I ended up with:

The bright colours have been toned down with a thin layer of Gesso.

After adding some stamp marks and arranging my page elements (washi tape, pieces of Chinese book paper, dragonfly cut from a napkin, title, etc), I splattered some gesso all over the completed page, which you can see below, followed by some close up shots.

(by clicking on the images, you can see them in the Gallery view with larger resolution)

Some splattering of white gesso completed the look of this journal page







No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.