|A flustratingly messy desk|
I didn't quite realize just how much fun swapping tags was going to be! Each month we have a different theme (November was Artist's Choice). I decided to make a tag journal to hold all the tags I will receive through this swap.
You may remember seeing the old dictionary cover I showed you last week, which now serves as the cover for my tag journal. I've taken some photos to show you how I made this journal. The first photo shows the cover with my gelli prints. It needs some more decoration.
I used cardboard from cereal packets to make the pages and I covered these with gelli prints as well. These are quite sturdy and I will simply attach the tags to them with paper clips. There are five single-sheet signatures, which I sewed to a separate spine made out of kraft card leaving plenty of room between the signatures to accommodate any dimensional items. They are about 1 cm (0.4 inch) apart. I marked five holes for each signature and used an awl (a.k.a. pokey tool!) to make the holes.
|Five holes for all five signatures|
|Pages cut from cereal boxes covered with gelli prints|
I used the holes on the kraft card spine as a guide to pierce the holes in the signatures in the same places. Here's a useful tip I picked up on YouTube: use a bulky book to make sure that your holes are lined up exactly on the fold of the signatures.
|Use a thick book to help you make the holes|
After I had sewn the signatures to the kraft card using saddle stitching, I stuck it to the cover with strong tacky glue. It's probably not a professional job, but it works just fine. The book lies flat and there's plenty of room for expansion. The tags will be held in place with paper clips - one on each page. Here a few photos of the completed journal. I will further decorate the gelli print pages as I go along.