Wednesday 27 November 2019

WOYWW #547: Two advent projects

Hello fellow deskers! Normally I would say, Wednesday already? - but looking back, it seems last Wednesday was ages ago. Even yesterday seems like two weeks ago - why is that?

I had to shift gears and go into 'advent' mode, which means I had to swap my pots and pans around and put my pouring projects on the back burner for now. They're still very much there simmering in the background though! I got this DIY advent calendar from CraftBox a few weeks ago and I realised I had to get going with it as it is nearly December now! I managed to put it together without any instructions - it was a bit like working on a puzzle as it came flat packed. Here it is on my desk, just waiting to be decorated. I'll show you the finished project next week.


My other advent project is a mini book that I cobbled up in just an hour from recycled packaging and file folders ready for Kasia's Advent Calendar course starting on the 1st of December.  If you remember, I took part in this event last year and enjoyed it very much. The course is free but Kasia has asked us to consider donating a few pounds to her chosen charity in return, which I think is a wonderful idea and very fitting, especially around this time of year.  This is the book that I made and I think I will do a similar design on my advent calendar, so they'll match. It has 24 pages - one for each day to follow along Kasia's prompts until Christmas Eve. 





I've also put together a little tray of basic supplies so I'm ready to go. I might still change these later - we'll see...


Another thing I've tried this week was putting resin on one of my canvas pours. I really should have waited a few more weeks for the paint to cure completely, but I just couldn't wait to try it! It's only a small practice piece and it's not perfect by any means, but I can see how this might work. The resin intensifies the colours and gives it a super smooth, crystal clear, ultra glossy finish. It's almost irresistible to touch - I keep stroking it, leaving my fingerprints all over it. I might try another layer of resin on this to smooth out the imperfections around the edges. You can see these towards the top where there's a ripple and the canvas texture is showing. I think it can be fixed, but I need to read up on it. I don't normally bother with imperfections, but resin is an exception. 


Wishing you all a creative week and a lovely run-up to Christmas! 
Our decorations are going up this weekend! xx

17 comments:

  1. You could tell the advent book is your work even if it wasn't on your blog - the colours are just you! It's a beautiful book and I hope you have fun joining in each day. Well done for putting the flat pack together - it's a life skill that is, lol!!
    Hugs LLJ 7 xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zsuzsa. A fabulous book. All the best with the advent challenges. Enjoy. Hope the advent calendar is coming together well and looking good.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zsuzsa, I really love that canvas, imperfection and all! The Advent calendar is ace, and the book gorgeous.Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #18 X

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy and such interesting creations....
    Christine #21

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your book is simply gorgeous...you are so talented. I love the canvas too ....the colours really jump out now.
    Hugs,
    Annie x #10

    ReplyDelete
  6. I first read this as an Advent Candle - where did my head go to see that? Then it followed with a pour on the candle - do you think it is possible? Wouldn't it be lovely if it could be done?
    Lovely canvas, imperfections or not - I am sure you can cover those up but as it is tiny maybe you can live with it. I bet it was a wrench to put the pouring away as you were so enjoying it but to take over with the mini book and then have the joy of the Advent Calendar to do must have made up for it somehow. Love those colours which are just you. Looking forward to seeing it all finished and set out.
    Hugs, Neet 9 xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's scary as one minute we seem to have loads of time to make Christmas stuff and the next minute it's December and we need to get them sent! Love the idea of the Advent book and will pop over for a look. You were right about the cat, his name is Tiger and although he's not mine we are great friends as I sometimes look after him when my friend is away however he relates seeing me with food and wont leave me alone when I'm there as he thinks I should feed him so I'm not sure if that was why he was giving me that look. Have a lovely creative woyww. Hugs, Angela x15x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look forward to seeing the finished advent box. Love the book cover.. Thanks for dropping by Helen #2

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my Zsuzsa you really are a creative mission, your braver than me to start an advent of that size with such limited time.. but it will be amazing if you use those teals and metallic tones.
    You little book is awesome, i'm interested in that course too but not sure I'll have time to play or complete, I have so much going on in the background of my life i'm squeezing hold of every minute as time is racing by. I'm smiling at you and those pours with resin, I can see you looking over your shoulder to see if anyone is watching you touch them to see if they are dry.. you need to lock them in an isolation room and check on them every Wednesday haa haa..
    Sending hugs your way Tracey #4

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Zsuzsa you really are prepared for the Advent course. I've signed up but not thought about it yet. Can't wait to see your finished Advent house the cover of the journal is gorgeous. Happy belated WOYWW. Sarah #8

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a gorgeous book! It is true, time is flying and Advent is almost there. And this pouring was my favourite one last week, nice to see it again, it is so full of energy! Well done, Zsuzsa!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Zsuzsa - just had to check in to see how the pouring was going! The resin layer is such a good idea - I can just imagine that really tactile super-smooth glossy varnish effect, a bit like the acrylic skins with the cabochons, only on a larger scale. Have you ever come across Fordite? There are lots of fabulous images out there if you google it. The pourings remind me a bit of that too. Similar formation process I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous book - I am excited to get my gatherings together for Kasia's advent class this weekend. I have 3 choices of how to do it so need to make a decision!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your book is so beautiful, and I just love the antiqued finish to it. The canvas is stunning - it looks like a beautiful piece of agate and the resin gives it that authentic highly polished look - I just love it.
    Hope you have a great week,
    Diana x #16

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh WOW have you been busy, I love the pour painted piece so much. the colors and textures of the book are very cool too :) ~Stacy #23

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your advent book looks gorgeous, my word you can really turn a simple embossing folder into a work of art! I shall look forward to your advent drawer unit completion, I’m always stumped by such things. I think the poured canvasses will be a great motivation to get all the christmas stuff done so that you can get back to them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Zsuzsa! Thank you for you comment - I also love bread, and I'm not sure that I'm eating more since I got the bread machine, but I slice the bread very thin, so I think I'm getting 1/2 the calories! Mittsy and Inky are chasing each other around the house as usual, but Mittsy still goes outside in the cold, while Inky stays inside and watches her!
    You journal is gorgeous, if your advent calendar matches it will be awesome!! I look forward to seeing your entries in your journal! Have a wonderful week, Lindart #22

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.