Saturday 7 May 2016

Wanderlust: April book prompts

I'm running a bit late with my Wanderlust book pages for April. However, I'm still doing much better than for the month of March, when I skipped my prompts entirely. But that's ok - I'm fine with that. I don't have to do each and every prompt or lesson. I like the freedom of making my own choices and working at my own pace!

The first prompt for April was: "Everything that happened today". I started by scribbling all the things that happened that day, which made me think about how mundane my life is. But then I thought: that's life - it's just a collection of everyday activities that we work our way through day in, day out. It's about how we experience those little things that makes the difference between being content or dissatisfied, happy or unhappy. We have to try and find fulfillment in doing the little things in life. I find a lot of fulfillment in making art, or sometimes even just doing the dishes.

I thought about a quote for my page and found one that seemed to reflect my feelings: "It's about the journey, not the destination". If we can find a way to enjoy our journey, it doesn't really matter where it's taking us. I stuck my quote on top of a piece of corrugated cardboard. I used a magazine picture of a ship as my focal point. I transferred it using a piece of packing tape and applied matte medium on top to tone down the gloss. The three circles are the dried up paints from the top of my paint tubes. We all have those, I'm sure! Here are some photos of my first page:








The second prompt was "My future". I kept thinking of the 1980's song "My future's so bright I gotta wear shades". I used to listen to this tune back in high school. I couldn't get it of my head, so I decided to build my page around this quote. It's a happy page - I used happy colours! That's a photo of me wearing sunglasses. At one point I thought I messed up the page by adding a black outline around the photo and the heart. China markers are impossible to remove, so I gessoed over it and outlined with a bright blue oil pastel instead.









 Thanks for stopping by today! Wishing you all a happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.