Wednesday 26 October 2022

WOYWW #699: October Update

#699! That's a great number and it falls on the last Wednesday of this month, which means it's time for me to check in with the WOYWW "crowd". So hello there! Quite a bit going on here since my last check-in. I have a brand new work desk, completely separate from my messy one! I'm not even sure how it happened but one thing led to another and I bought a new sewing machine, as the one I had was just a very basic one. However, in order to use the machine, I needed a dedicated space and my craft room is already jam packed. (I know this is something I should have considered BEFORE I made my purchase, but hey-ho, I just problem-solve as I go along!) So after some consideration, I decided to rearrange my bedroom (yes, I have my own bedroom as my husband snores terribly!) and I was able to fit in a corner desk, which allows me to set up my machine on one side and have a cutting/ironing area on the other! It's small but perfect for my purposes! So, with much excitement and fanfare, I present to you my work desk No.2! Tada! (Photo taken this morning!) 


My first little project was this quilted cushion cover made from Basic Grey's mini charm squares. Even though Basic Grey stopped producing paper, apparently, they still do fabrics! (Actually, my very first try was still on my old machine - a little pot holder, but I won't show you that - I just affectionately refer to it as the Frankenquilt LOL!) This one's still not perfect, but getting there.  A follow-up project was that fabric basket for my scraps you can see on my desk above. I didn't want to use my best fabrics in case I mess up, but it's still pretty. My husband's happy that I'm finally doing something useful, although he thought the basket would function better as a hat - he tried it on, but declined to model it for my blog! 


And just to stay true to my mixed media roots, I also cobbled up this little tag/bookmark last night using very small pieces of scraps:



While all this was going on, I also followed this year's Life Book Taster sessions on Facebook, but I only had time to compete three of the lessons which you can see below (by Jenny Grant, Melanie Rivers and Tracy Verdugo,  respectively): 




So that's the long and short of it. I'll check out your crop photos when I visit later! Have a great week and see you again in November! xx

16 comments:

  1. Good Afternoon, here it is 7 AM and I wasn't up to getting the post ready last night. Oh I love the great fabric pieces you have shared. LOVE the bookmark. I'm a scrap person !!! And I hope you enjoy your new machine. I think it was 2 yrs ago I purchased a new Brother, computerized and I hated it, directions were awful and I started watching Youtube to learn it better. No luck but I did just finish a small quilt (gift for my sis) and used a variety of stitches and I think I LOVE IT ! For winter I am also considering moving it upstairs to our office area . Your 3 bottom photos are awesome Enjoy a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cushion is amazing, all the corners are perfectly together and I love the colour combo. You’re going to be just as brilliant at that as you are at the journalling. You’ll have to model the bin/hat next week, lol!
    Hugs LLJ 7 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I love the Lifebook Taster Sessions - how fabulous are they, especially the first one. But what is this about a sewing machine and a new desk? How good is that? It looks perfect sitting there and I am so impressed with your quilting. Must say I adore the tag you made, that is so you but this time in fabric. Such a wealth of talent.
    Hugs, (no photo Neet) lol 2 xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how exciting....you just knew what I’d think. A new Brother...I love it and what you’ve done with it too.
    Hugs,
    Annie x #8

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, what a super desk and I too have my desk in the corner of MY bedroom (for much the same reason and more!!) Adore the cushion, Love Basic Grey and didn't even know they did fabrics! Cute little basket too. Absolutely love your tag and the life book taster pieces are amazing, do you have a link to their videos perchance. Lovely to see you BJ#10

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you continue to enjoy your new machine, and already being put to good use. Shame on your hubby for not modelling the "hat"! happy WOYWW Helen #1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh lovely! A sewing corner - you will love it, I am sure. Your bin and cushion are fab - perfect for your new workspace. xx Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do not need to tell me about husbands that snore! I suffer with that too. Your patchwork cushion looks lovely and the Life Book Taster pieces are perfect. Wishing you a lovely week and a happy and creative woyww, Angela x13x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great sewing area Zsuzsa. Love the latest projects!!! See you in November. Stay safe and Happy WOWYW. Sarah #11

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really LOVE that quilted cushion. When I started scrapbooking (in 2006 or so) my fave branch was 'basic grey' - I didn't know they stopped making paper but the fabric has the same feel to it, just lovely! Too bad your hubby would not get his pic taken with the 'hat', I would have loved to see that!! Enjoy your new sewing machine dear (mine is really old, I got it when I was 18 and started a seamstress training ...) I love joining woyww this week after a long time absence; it's good to see what everyone's up to and catch up a bit. Have a great day dear, love from Holland. Marit #3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Zsuzsa, I absolutely love your little bookmark, and your cushion is beautiful as well! My mother used to make quilted cushions and covers, there are so many possibilities... I hope you and your family are well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous catch-up post, Zsuzsa - I'm loving all that stitchery (and that tag/bookmark is mouth-watering!). I'm extraordinarily sad that your hubby refused to model the 'hat' - I've a feeling that would have been a great photo! I look forward to seeing more of everything in November! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab to see you Zsu, what a great read! Great idea to locate your new machine, and the cushion is lovely. Basic Grey started life as fabric designers, so although I really miss their paper collections it is good to know that they are back at their roots! Looks to me that you’re as good with stitched media as with painted….

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Zsuzsa. Oh dear - taking over another room... Have I set a trend, I ask myself? Are people across Britain going to hold me responsible for the fact that art and craft supplies and workdesks spread throughout the home??? Enjoy your new sewing machine!
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #4

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wishing you many hours of happy stitching xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is there no end to your talents? Lovely to see you Zsuzsa, always so much creativity on your desk(s). Love the colours in that last photo. I had to smile about the 'something useful'. If it makes you happy that's just fine!! Have a good month, see you again soon, love n hugs, Cindy xx #14

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.