Wednesday 30 November 2022

WOYWW #704: November check-in

Hello again on the last day of November! I've been looking forward to this day, because it means I can start opening my advent calendars tomorrow! It's all very exciting and the countdown to Christmas always makes the cold, gloomy days of December a lot more pleasant. But more on that later. First off, here's a shot of my desk #1 (the messy one):


That's a little quilted, scrappy journal cover with ecodyed papers inside. Don't let the neat cover fool you -  it's pretty messy inside! It's almost complete now. Here are a few examples of the pages: 




Now onto desk #2 (the not so messy one):


I've  got some boxes to store my fabric in. On the right is my first attempt at crazy quilting with the quilt as you go method (it just happened to be the same size to fit the top of the box perfectly!). I've also made some coasters - this one's hand-pieced and hand-quilted with some lovely Indian batik fabric, which is quite different from the Indonesian batik - I love both! I'm a big batik fan! 


I've also been playing with fabric selvedges (selvages) - I got addicted to collecting Moda scrapbags, which usually contain the selvedge ends of the fabric - most people throw these away, but they actually make fantastic scrappy projects! You can piece them together to make a bigger piece of fabric, which then you can use like any other piece of fabric. Here's a sample - this is about an A4 size:


AND - I've also completed my first quilt top! This was done with a Moda scrapbag as well, which had slightly wider strips, so I was able to piece together a scrappy strip pattern: 


Now I'll show you my crafty advent calendars this year - there are two of them! First up, is this one from Devere Yarns - it contains 24 silk threads in different colours - I can't wait to start opening it! 


The second one is something I'm putting together myself - it's my old home made advent calendar filled with strips of fabric from Moda scrap bags - it's only half full because my orders got delayed by the postal strikes (so annoying!) - but I've got the first 12 days covered. I need two more bags to fill the next 12 drawers. It is a surprise as I open the scrap bags in the dark and place 4-5 strips into each drawer, so I don't know exactly what's in them. I think there's a trick there that the manufacturers have missed - imagine how popular something like this would be if it was available commercially! Well, I've made my own! 


I gotta run to the town today to do a spot of shopping but I will be back later visiting around. 

Happy #704 and Merry Christmas as I probably won't be back until after Christmas! 

Take care, everyone and enjoy the festive period!

16 comments:

  1. Love your pages inside that scrappy journal. But so fun seeing this beautiful fabric. Love that Batik, and it's great that you enjoy the salvage pieces. They are unique. A great fun piece you have to use for your Advent calendar Enjoy a great week, was a fun visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hellooo Zsuzsa 🤩 so much to see 👀 loooving your little scrappy journal ❤ inside and out ... right up my street 🥰 I'm swooning over all your fabric pieces 🤸‍♀️💕❤ toooo your advent calendar ... what a delight it is going to be on the opening of each one!! Postal strikes are causing havoc,here's to your orders arriving before too long.Wishing ⭐️ you much joy in the week ahead with love and hugs Tracy #12 xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zsuzsa, I always love to see what you've been up to. I love batiking too and use to do lots of it. I've still got some old samples somewhere that I did on silk and some salt resist designs and tie dye too which makes great patterns. The advent calendar sounds like fun. If we don't see you before, wishing you a very happy Christmas. Hugs, Angela x10x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another manically busy day for me and tomorrow will be no better. I think the word has gone out that I like to be kept busy :-)
    I love your 'messy' table but of course your fabrics and what you've been doing with those it what really makes my heart sing :-)
    Hugs,
    Annie x #9

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of you filling the drawers with scraps in the dark! Do you make something from each drawer? Your quilt looks so neat! Happy WOYWW. Angela #7

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your advent calendars Zsuzsa - hope the next lot of scraps arrive for the second part of the month. I adore your quilting and how you have used those strips. Meow to Oreo. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah #2

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely to see you and your desks, no wonder you love Batik fabrics, they do have echoes of your painty mixed media feel to them don’t they! Your scrappy tops are wonderful, not really so scrappy once all pieced together, your eye for colour and combination never fails does it! Wonderful. Enjoy your advent calendars, what a thrill they’ll be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, Zsuzsa! your fabric journal is gorgeous - well, as is everything ! enjoy the advent calendars. Have a good month and see you next time Helen xx #1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just popped back as you might not be around again for a while. I read your comment over at mine and you're right the resin doesn't behave so well in colder weather but I do have heating in the cabin but I don't think I'll be doing much more now. I wanted to tell you a little story about the batiking. I do now have the wax pot and Tjantings but when I was still at school maybe about aged 15 we did some Batiking in the Art lesson and when I got home I cleaned up a bean tin, filled it with wax candles and put it in a pan of water. I used an old paint brush to apply the wax to some fabric and by the time my mum got home from work I had managed to cover the cooker hob with wax, she was not impressed but it didn't stop me and I've loved it ever since. Hope you're around again soon. Hugs, Angela xXx

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I think of all the metres of fabric selvedge I have thrown away and all the time I could have made something with them. Ani

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness, my uber-creative friend, you've been crazy busy in November. Loving your advent calendars (and especially the one you've created - what a great concept!), and your fabric pieces are gorgeous. I'm now regretting discarding 60 years of selvedge edges! Your quilting is gorgeous and I'm so with you on the batik, no matter their origin! Wishing you a fabulous holiday season, with more love and laughter than you can safely manage. Sending hugs and holiday happiness! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. So love what you have been doing with your fabric scraps, so creative, and your little journal is delightful. Hugs BJ#18

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello there!! Beautiful desk(s) as always. So lovely to see! The colours on those Batik pieces are gorgeous and I love your notebook. What a great idea to make yourself a crafty advent calender so you get a little surprise every day - I had to smile at you though stuffing the scraps in the drawers in the dark!! Have a lovely month, see you soon!! Cindy xx #14

    ReplyDelete
  14. So lovely to see your enthusiasm for all things fabric at present ♥ Love both your advent calendars. Merry Merry xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Zsuzsa, I love your work as always, this time especially your first quilt top! I wish you and your family a Happy Christmas and a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always love to see you posting. I am struggling to keep up but am so happy to see your journal. And the edges! Fab. I'm sure I bookmarked a quilt of selvedges about a million years ago but I think you know my follow-thru is BAD. Love the quilt too and goodness the advent calendar - what a wealth of crafty richness today's post is. I spent far too long repairing my advent calendar but last ear we used the one I prefer so thins year it had to be Darling daughters choice so... Will try to catch up on Insta at some point but oh I am bad at social media. Happy WOYWW and Happy holidays!
    Ridiculously late for WOYWW but here I am…
    Mary Anne (6)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.