Wednesday 18 August 2021

WOYWW #637: More pages in my scrap journal and ugly art

Good morning, Deskers! I've just found some new comments on my blog post from last week - true to my word, I think I got back to everyone, but if I accidentally missed you, please let me know! A new week, a new messy desk - whatever I do, I don't seem to be able to keep on top of things! Since taking this photo a couple of days ago, I'm afraid the situation has got even worse.


Shoshi sent me down that proverbial "rabbit hole" when we got talking about laminators, so I got mine out to try a few things. Since then a fell into a few other rabbit holes - it's a mine field out there LOL, especially when you have a passion for experimenting like I do. Which explains the state of my desk to some extent. I got side tracked several times over the course of the week with "things to try" but I still managed to add a few pages to my scrap journal:



Then I moved into a completely different direction when I discovered The Ugly Art Club on Instagram and their 5-minute challenge (#tuac5minchallenge).  Admittedly, some of these took a bit longer than 5-minutes, but the idea is that you create without second guessing yourself, putting an end to all that faffing which drives me crazy! Just do it and don't worry about the end result - if it's ugly, it's ugly, it's still art! I'm still working on grasping and accepting the concept! This is what I came up with running a few days behind the daily challenge, but it doesn't matter:







I only used scraps that were lying around, some of them the by-products of my laminating attempts . For example, these moth prints in the last piece were smudged inkjet prints on tracing paper, which were laminated with a matte pouch (only on the top side), which gave them this hazy, distressed look. One of them even got wrinkled during the laminating process. The good thing about the #uglyart movement is that you can include all your trials and fails because it doesn't need to be perfect or pretty. Of course, ugly doesn't mean I don't like it - I still have to like what I do, otherwise what's the point? It's more about letting go of imperfections.  

Having a messy desk with lots of scraps can actually be beneficial, but there comes a point when it becomes a nuisance! I have already reached that point this week, so a tidy up will be in order! If not next week, then soon(ish)...one day, for sure! 

I might be a bit late visiting again this week - son needs a haircut to get rid of his lockdown curls, so we're off to the town soon. He doesn't let me cut it anymore LOL! Happy #637!

21 comments:

  1. Fabulous, and such a feast for my eyes! Love it all. I haven't linked to WOYWW as I can't get in, so will most likely be very late again this week :( I think I gave up on a lot of blogs last week, I was having so much trouble finding woyww posts and most likely just posted anywhere! I did get into last weeks wow for about as long as it took to type a comment...but then...cut off...gone! ((Lyn)) no number

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You say they’re ugly but they’re really not, your creations are always beautiful and pleasing to look at, you just have the knack of putting things together in a gorgeous way. And as much as I love your moths and butterflies, it’s the ammonite piece that I absolutely adore!!
    Hugs LLJ 5 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I cannot find any imperfections in your ugly pages. They still have that Zsuzsa charm about them and the colouring is so you. I somehow don't think I could do those thing. I spend far too much time thinking and not enough doing.
    As always I love your first set of journal pages that you are showing us today. I am a number one fan of yours and just love everything you do.
    Have a good and productive week.
    Hugs, Neet 11 xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good! The Ugly Art Club. Well your's certainly aren't ugly but if they were who cares! As they say it's still art. If the son fancies it I will be cutting the dogs hair soon he can always join them! He may look a bit like a Schnauzer when I've finished Lol! Have a very happy and creative woyww, Angela x14x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your pages and experimenting, what a delight.
    BJ#20

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am all for relaxing with your art - I just can’t do it at times :). Is your scrap journal similar to a glue book? So many names for everything these days! I love the pages anyway :). Happy Angela #4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it also goes by the name of glue book LOL! It's so fun just sticking things down!

      Delete
  7. Aye oh friend!!! LOVE your desk....don't care what you say! LOLOL It always has some goodness on it in spite of the so called chaos!! Great scrapbook pages, but the fave for me this week are those AWESOME 5 minute...ish creations you have going on!! They are fabulous!! Scraps and all! I have never known anyone to turn scraps into what you do!! Scraps for me, would still look like scraps!! LOLOL All those yummy colors and textures, SOOOO I can't pick a fave out of the lot because they are ALL my fave!! Bravo my friend!! Good luck with the hair cutting episode! I can't imagine having a boy because girls are hard enough and you just become "un-cooler" as they get older, so just face the music my friend! I mean really....how cool is it to say "my mum cut my hair", I ask you? But FAR cooler is the newest salon or retro barber that you can say you got your hair cut at!!! LOLOL Ugggghh it just stressed me out!!! LOLOL My sweet Abby is going through the Cosmetology program here and is learning the art of cutting hair, so after next semester, I'm getting a free ride, I tell you!! LOLOL I don't care how cool it is!! LOLOL Unless she gives me a wop sided doo, then we will have words! LOLOL Hope all is well, my friend. Missed coming around last week, so hope you guys remain safe and healthy!! Cheers and have a great rest of your week! :) Felicia #26

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your journal pages are fabulous! I do like all the rabbit holes you went down last week! Happy WOYWW Helen #2

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes my ATC’s are all digital. I hope to be getting a new printer when we get back home and then I will be printing them out. Angela #4

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so in the zone. So great to see all your wonderful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love to see your desk and the beautiful things you have been making!
    I'm going to have to have a go at that 5 minute challenge!
    Happy WOYWW!
    Stay safe and keep well!
    Susan #15
    Calling All Crafters! – My Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the concept of ugly art, and manage to do it frequently. I can see, however, that you have come nowhere near to accomplishing it...these are all lovely, and as always, inspiring beyond measure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know how much I love your journal pages, each one is a work of art! But these ugly art pieces have me smitten all over! I'm loving the grungy layers and wateryness of them. Such gorgeous inspiration today, thank you! xx, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your journal pages are gorgeous as ever and really no one could call any of those pieces from the challenges Ugly Art. I have made some truly AWFUL stuff over the years, but I guess I learned something from each of them. S'all good, right?
    So late....

    Happy WOYWW late again
    Mary Anne (1)

    ReplyDelete
  16. No "ugly" in your "ugly art" Zsuzsa!! Haha! It's all gorgeous, as always. So glad I was able to encourage you to get your laminator out again. I love the distressed moths. I haven't had a chance to do anything further with mine as we've had too much else going on but it's something nice to look forward to.

    Thank you for your visit and your kind wishes for my hubby and myself. He is fine now, just the occasional twinge. I'm hoping our continuing whole-food plant-based diet, with all the added water, will help keep the symptoms at bay. I'm working on keeping my own (menopausal) symptoms at bay too as I've started having night sweats... Lots of soya in the diet from now on - no hardship as I adore tofu, and I cooked up a batch of soya beans the other day and am adding them to everything - including my overnight oats/chia breakfast nosh!! Had my radiotherapy planning appointment today which was a very interesting experience.

    I think the kitchen towels will laminate fine, because it's not just heat, but pressure too. People laminate sequins and all sorts of things - as long as they aren't too lumpy and thick. I'll keep you posted on my stamp storage once I get started on it - the dies are finished for now (till I buy some more!!)

    I had to laugh about poor Oreo! What did he do to be annoying? Haha! They don't hold grudges - they are amazingly forgiving of us and our foibles like going off and abandoning them! Lily was a bit stand-offish with my hubby for a couple of days but then she was fine again.

    Happy belated WOYWW,
    Shoshi x #23

    ReplyDelete
  17. PS Meant to say - I discussed with my hubby the issue of stress maybe causing his flare up, and he agreed it might well have been a factor. He reminded me that he was initially suffering symptoms during my first cancer treatment, although they weren't so bad - he was diagnosed with diverticular disease exactly a year (to the very day) after my cancer diagnosis - with both had our colonoscopies on 19th January, a year apart! I told him today that he mustn't worry about me because I'm going to be fine, but it's only natural, and he is a terrible worrier about everything at the best of times! I said to him today, "No castles in the air, no worst-case-senarios allowed!"

    Shoshi x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely lot of work you have there I don't think I could do that it a short time either,

    Take care and stay safe ,
    Lilian B #16

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice. I love it.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Zsuzsa, Sorry for popping up so late, I have been away... So many beautiful creations there (I wonder why there are supposed to be ugly)! Art has so many faces indeed.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.