Sunday 13 July 2014

Using your water-based markers as watercolour paints

Did you know you could use any water-based marker pen as watercolour paint?  I didn't know until just this morning! Although, if you think about it, it makes sense as the ink in these pens is watersoluble.

The best way to try this technique is to apply your markers onto a plastic surface. A simple plastic paint palette works fine. Then just add water with a brush and use the pigments like ordinary watercolours.

Water-based markers used as watercolour paints
  This technique is great if you want to match the shade of your lettering to your background, for example, or just to get extra mileage out of  your unloved marker pens. I've got two sets of metallic markers that I rarely use. I've tried both sets and got pretty good results. The pens I've tried for this technique are Crayola Metallic Markers and Papermania Fluid Metallic Brush Markers, but I'm sure it would work with any other water-based pens.

Go on, try this method and breathe new life into those forgotten marker pens at the bottom of your craft drawer! They deserve a second chance!

Watercolour sketch using water-based markers
Diluted with water, these markers behave very much like watercolour paints



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.