Wednesday 3 August 2016

WOYWW#374: Abstract paintings

Where do the weeks and months go? It's August already and the days are getting noticeably shorter. The weather took a turn for the cooler as well, although I was able to sit outside on the patio last Saturday and paint to my heart's content. Today on WOYWW I'm sharing a photo of my desk outdoors as it was last Saturday to remind everyone that summer isn't quite over yet. In fact, with holidays around the corner for many, the best is yet to come!


I was working on a couple of abstract paintings on gessoed cardboard panels that I first introduced here. They perform remarkably well and I don't have to worry about messing up expensive canvases. I followed the instructions in one of Flora Bowley's intuitive painting classes on CreativeBug as part of my free trial. I still struggle with this intuitive process but I feel that with every try I get closer to where I want to be. I think where I usually go wrong is the "simplify" step where I tend to oversimplify my painting losing all my previous layers in the process and end up with some simple shapes on a solid background. At this point I always tell myself "duh, you could have just done that in the first place without wasting all that lovely paint underneath"! Now that I have identified where I go wrong, I hope I can do better next time!

These are the two paintings I created after hours of layering. Here and there, you can still see my original layers peeking through, with the promise that perhaps I have the potential to improve if I practice enough.











Thanks for stopping by! 
Enjoy the rest of your summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.