Wednesday 2 August 2017

WOYWW #426: Fragile II

I got a bit panicky yesterday realising I had nothing to share for WOYWW so I quickly got down to business. My project was inspired by an old Donna Downey class called Metamorphosis. I didn't take the class, but by using some of Donna's techniques I'd learned in her other classes, I attempted to emulate a similar look. I used a piece of heavyweight Khadi paper that acted almost like a canvas board and turned out to be the perfect substrate for this project. I coated one side with a mixture of joint compound (Polyfilla) and white gesso followed by a layer of ultra matte fluid medium, which provided an excellent surface for an image transfer. My desk shot was taken during the proceedings of the image transfer. It turned out near perfect, which is not always the case!


Following the image transfer, I added and partially removed a layer of quinacridone nickel azo gold and a layer of raw umber. By adding and removing the paint, it gets into the little crevices of the surface, creating some lovely texture. This is what it looked like at this stage:


Next, I did some stencilling with Payne's Grey acrylic paint...


...and then added the finishing touches of found poetry, doodles and paint marks and splatters.


Here are some close-up shots:




The found poetry concept is a godsent when you're lost for words. (The letter 'e' at the end of 'escape' got splattered with a drop of paint - I didn't notice this until after I took the photos, but I have now corrected it with a pen. There's always a chance of that happening!) Make what you want of my poem - it can have many interpretations. My current interpretation has got to do with our imminent house move, which is still hanging in the air. Hopefully, we'll know more next week.

While we're still here though, I took this photo of a rainbow over our housing estate. It was raining on one side of the house but not the other!


Instead of an Oreo photo this week, let me share this one of a very similar looking cat I came across online (and blatantly stole it). I find it so funny!


Hope you're having a good week! 
Happy WOYWW!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.