Wednesday 23 November 2016

WOYWW #390: Yet another altered box

Hello lovely people of  WOYWW. Another Wednesday, another desk tour to find out what other crafters and artists have been busy doing in the past week. This shot of my desk was taken a few days ago. Since then I have finished altering that box you can see there, which is what I'm going to show you today. I tested the process on a notebook cover, so now I have a matching journal to go with my box!


Originally, the box came filled with goodies from CraftBox. Some of you might be familiar with this service - you can either subscribe or buy the boxes individually. I don't think I will subscribe, but I'm sure I will buy again occasionally. It's a good way to expand your stash and treat yourself from time to time. The box was screaming out to be altered, so this is what I did with it:

First, I covered it with thin dictionary paper, so it would take the paint better.


Then I stuck some die-cut shapes on it, cut from textured cardstock and covered it entirely with gesso, followed by a layer of blue acrylics. 


Finally, I added a layer of raw umber and partially removed it with a wet wipe before it was completely dry, which resulted in an aged, distressed look. I like how the brown paint emphasizes the die-cut shapes on the surface of the box. The only problem is that the magnetic closure has stopped working under the layers of paper and paint, but I think I can add some magnets to solve this.






Here's the notebook I practiced on. It matches the box nicely. 



I will close this post with a photo of Oreo that I took exactly a year ago - a few days after we got him when he was just 8 weeks old. He was a scruffy little thing back then and it amazes me how much he has grown, though he's remained just as silly and playful!


Thanks so much for stopping by!
Wishing you a wonderful week filled with creativity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below.